Re: ITP: squeak-vm, squeak-image, squeak-sources -- A highly portable Smaltalk system

On Fri, 1 Jun 2001, Wolfgang Sourdeau wrote:

> > I will make the license available at:
> > 	http://people.debian.org/~bagpuss/copyright
>
> > I accept that the licernse is non-free.  But I can't see why it is
> > non-free enough to prevent it being in section non-us/non-free.  Any
> > input on this is happily looked at.
>
> Your values for free software ?
>
> <pause>
> (the rest of this mail could lead to a flamewar. Please moderate
> yourself when reading it...)
> </pause>

No way.

> If if were only me, non-free would not even exist.

I respect that, but don't agree.

> Btw, this license is unacceptable for at least one point: "here the
> Licensee is located in the province of Quebec, Canada, the following
> clause applies: The parties hereto confirm that they have requested
> that this Agreement and all related documents be drafted in English.
> Les parties ont exigé que le présent contrat et tous les
> documents connexes soient redigés en anglais."
>
> In Québec, there happens to be a law which permit Quebecers to
> require an official document to be in French.
>
> This clause is the worse clause in a software license I have ever
> seen. It just forbid people deciding to live in their own language to
> use that program. You know.. the freedom 0 that Stallman talks about
> in his speeches ? (and about which people sometimes laugh)

But I agree on that part. I live in Belgium, another multilingual
country with political problems simply because of this fact.

It's completely unacceptable that anyone requires you to talk a certain
language to be able to do something. Of course, if the other one would not
be able to speak French, I would accept that. The fact that he does,
however, is demonstrated by the last sentense of the above quoted
paragraph.

I would not just send this to non-free instead of main, but create an
extra archive with "licenses that belong to hell" for this one.

> This is just obnoxious. I may not be as radical as RMS is. But even
> Microsoft is not as restrictive as this.

They are, but in other areas ;-)

--
wouter dot verhelst at advalvas in Belgium

This is Linux world. On a quiet day, you can hear Windows reboot.