Re: packaging conflicts

On Thu, 31 May 2001, Noah L. Meyerhans wrote:

> I maintain a package that provides several binaries.  Another developer
> decided that one of these binaries needed to be packaged independantly
> of my larger package.  This developer made and uploaded their package,
> and has now filed a bug report against mine requesting that I do
> something to avoid having overlapping files.  They did not contact me
> prior to splitting out the binary into its own package (maybe they
> didn't know my package provided it).  How should this be handled?  It
> seems to me that if someone wanted that binary split off into its own
> package then they should have filed a bug against my package and let me
> handle it.
>
> What do other developers think of this?  I wasn't able to find anything
> in the Developer's Reference or the Policy document about situations
> like this.  I suppose you could argue that I should have caught the ITP
> and informed the person that this file is part of my package, but is it
> reasonable to require me to read the wnpp list?

No. But I think it is reasonable to ask that you contact the other person
and ask him to work out an agreement...

After all, it's not that bad that someone else maintains a program that's
inside one of your packages. I had the same thing with a program called
"logtail" which happens to be in some other package too, and added a
"suggests" for that other package.

--
wouter dot verhelst at advalvas in belgium

Try does not exist. You have to believe that you will do it, else you will fail

       -- Luke Skywalker,
       in the trilogy "The Jedi Academy", Kevin J. Anderson