Re: packaging conflicts

On 31-May-01, 15:59 (CDT), "Noah L. Meyerhans" <frodo@morgul.net> wrote:
> This developer made and uploaded their package,
> and has now filed a bug report against mine requesting that I do
> something to avoid having overlapping files.  They did not contact me
> prior to splitting out the binary into its own package (maybe they
> didn't know my package provided it).  How should this be handled?  It
> seems to me that if someone wanted that binary split off into its own
> package then they should have filed a bug against my package and let me
> handle it.

Yes, that would have been the correct way to have this done, assuming
the other developer was aware. It may well have been an accident, as you
suggest. Even then, asking you to remove your version seems a little
cheeky. I think that so far, first person to package something has
priority.

> I suppose you could argue that I should have caught the ITP and
> informed the person that this file is part of my package, but is it
> reasonable to require me to read the wnpp list?

Nope. There is no such requirement. I would argue that the person
should have searched for the particular binary desired, which can
be done at http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages.

Basically, the second person packaged something already packaged. If it
was accidental, he/she should withdraw that second package. If it was an
intentional attempt to hijack your version, he/she should withdraw the
second package and beg your forgiveness.

If there is a legitimate purpose in that particular binary having its
own package, you might consider splitting yours, but you should make
that call.

Steve

--
Steve Greenland <stevegr@debian.org>
(Please do not CC me on mail sent to this list; I subscribe to and read