ITP: squeak-vm, squeak-image, squeak-sources -- A highly portable Smaltalk system

Apologies for this not getting to -devel previously, I managed to
mangle the X-Debbugs-cc: header the first time.  The actual ITP is
#98676.

I am copying it to here now I have realised it didn't get here.

addendum:
I am planning to put it in non-us/non-free because of clause 6 of the
license folowing some discussion on OPN.

- --- BEGIN ORIGINAL MESSAGE ---
Package: wnpp
Severity: wishlist

Hi,

I am in the process of packaging Squeak.

Squeak is an open, highly-portable Smalltalk-80 implementation whose
virtual machine is written entirely in Smalltalk, making it easy to
debug, analyze, and change. To achieve practical performance, a
translator produces an equivalent C program whose performance is
comparable to commercial Smalltalks.

The preliminary packages (binary and source) are made available at:

http://people.debian.org/~bagpuss/

The license is an Apple license.  It is non-free due to the
restrictions on modification and distribution of fonts.  The relevant
part of the license is:

2. Permitted Uses and Restrictions. This License allows you to copy,
  install and use the Apple Software on an unlimited number of computers
  under your direct control. You may modify and create derivative works
  of the Apple Software ("Modified Software"), however, you may not
  modify or create derivative works of the fonts provided by Apple
  ("Fonts").

Which would appear to prohibit the fonts from being used outside of
squeak or derivative works making it non-free.

There is also a clause about US export restrictions (I think to places
like Cuba).  I am not sure how this affects the DFSG status or how
enforcable this would be outside the US, but IANAL.  (non-us/non-free?)

6. Export Law Assurances. You may not use or otherwise export or
  reexport the Apple Software except as authorized by United States law
  and the laws of the jurisdiction in which the Apple Software was
  obtained. In particular, but without limitation, the Apple Software
  may not be exported or reexported (i) into (or to a national or
  resident of) any U.S. embargoed country or (ii) to anyone on the U.S.
  Treasury Department's list of Specially Designated Nationals or the
  U.S. Department of Commerce's Table of Denial Orders. By using the
  Apple Software, you represent and warrant that you are not located in,
  under control of, or a national or resident of any such country or on
  any such list.

There is a fork of squeak (Stable Squeak) which has new (free) fonts,
and there is some discussion as to changing the license to GPL.  I
believe that the developers of Stable Squeak are talking to Apple
about this.  For the moment however I have it packaged to go into
non-free/devel.

Squeak has an active and enthusiastic userbase across platforms and I
believe it will be a useful addition to the archive.

Lintian is complaining about a shared library.  I believe this pertains
to and will be covered by #66023.  If anyone has any
comments/suggestions/flames about this, I would be pleased to hear them.

Rationale for having 3 packages instead of just one:
Because of the nature of squeak, I believe this is the sensible way to
do it.  The system is quite big to start with.  The VM is reasonably
static and does not change very much.  The image changes independantly
of the VM.  I see no reason to require users download 12M of archive
when only 4M of it has been updated.

Thank you for your time in reading this.

- --- END ORIGINAL MESSAGE ---

- --
Stephen Stafford
GPG public key on request