Locale for boot-floppies

[ Sorry for the cross-post, please reply to -boot ]

Now that we decided to use glibc's UTF-8 support in
boot-floppies, we need a locale definition to use on the root

C.UTF-8 doesn't exist in /etc/locale.gen. en_IN.UTF-8 which
I chose semi-randomly for my own builds is 480 kb, which is
_way_ to big for the root disk.

I doubt we need anything more than LC_CTYPE which is "only"
130kb (since we use pointerize instead of gettext), but can we
just take only /usr/lib/locale/en_IN/LC_CTYPE, and not the

Anyway it would be best to reduce that to some 20 or 30 kb, if
by any means possible, or use another, smaller locale (the
question is - which?).

I would like to someone, who knows something more about all that
UTF-8 stuff, to speak up, since my words are just assumptions.

Marcin Owsiany <porridge@pandora.info.bielsko.pl>
GnuPG: 1024D/60F41216  FE67 DA2D 0ACA FC5E 3F75  D6F6 3A0D 8AA0 60F4 1216