localization fails

Hi,

I'm trying to get a package of mine to properly use i18n and l10n, but I
couldn't get it to work. However, looking further, there seem to be other
programs for which l10n doesn't work either:

lucretia:~$ LANG=nl gpg --help | tail -n1
fouten in de vertaling aan <nl@li.org>.
lucretia:~$ LANG=nl dpkg --help | tail -n1
Use `dselect' for user-friendly package management.

dpkg *does* have nl messages available. I also tried a couple of variations
on the LANG variable, such as ll_CC abbreviations, setting LANGUAGE instead
of LANG, etc. Nothing worked.

Using ltrace with dpkg shows that it uses textdomain(), while gnupg doesn't;
also the ltrace output of gpg has a getenv("LANG") in it and that of dpkg
doesn't have LANG anywhere in it.

Is something broken lately or have I just been doing something wrong?

Regards,

Filip