Re: bug packages for autobuilders

Sam Hartman <hartmans@debian.org> writes:

> This is mainly because you can't file a bug on the autobuilders.
> While I agree that filing a bug on the autobuilders in this particular
> case is wrong, I do believe that like other parts of Debian, you
> should be able to file bugs on autobuilders because they sometimes do
> buggy things.  I care about making sure that my packages are available
> on as many arches as is reasonable, so I'm likely to look at failed
> build logs for my packages before the autobuilder maintainers get
> around to it.

I don't think that's quite right.

What exactly do the autobuilders do wrong?  If they are unable to
compile a package from source, according to policy, then the package
has a bug.  (If the bug is arch specific, the maintainer should talk
it over with the porting team, but the autobuilding wouldn't be an
appropriate locus for bug reports.)

If the autobuilders are unable to compile your package, but your
package is fully policy-conformant, then there is either a bug in
policy (which should be filed), or a bug in your package, or a bug in
the software on the autobuilder.

If there is a bug in the software on the autobuilder, then it's the
bother of the autobuilder maintainers to worry about.  If you don't
think they know about it, then it seems to me that a bug on
ftp.debian.org is called for (because the package should be in the
archive but isn't).