Re: Automake 2.50 migration strategy, as implemented

On Sun, May 27, 2001 at 03:12:57PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> Shall I invite you to look at all the special casing in andrea? The buildds
> already do things differently to how a normal user or the maintainer might
> build them. That's not desirable, perhaps, but it's not reasonably avoidable
> for woody.

The Hurd uses turtle, which I wrote, and which certainly special cases
nothing at all.[1]  I must know, because I have written it, and one reason
among others I have written it is because I found the existing autobuilder
too special casing.

Ok, so we are just a work in progress, and it's only one port using turtle,
and we probably won't release with woody, but there it is.

The Hurd autobuilder doesn't build in chroot()'s though, so we are not anal
about source dependencies (yet).  We will just install autoconf whatever
versions and get away with that.

Thanks,
Marcus

[1] Turtle does base its decision on documented interfaces if possible, and
does have no more info available than it can get from the Packages and Sources
and its configuration options.

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de