Re: serious libtool 1.4 breakage?

    Marcus> On Sun, May 27, 2001 at 10:29:34AM +1000, Brian May wrote:
    >> make install prefix=`pwd`/debian/tmp/usr

    Marcus> It might be worth to play with DESTDIR than with prefix,
    Marcus> at least if automake is used.

I tried that, but the same error.

    Marcus> I think it is reasonable to ask back what solution they
    Marcus> provide for the case where you want to temporarily install
    Marcus> into a different place for packaging etc.

I asked, but maybe not in such a tactful manner (it was worded in a
negative way). So I rephrased my question, and reposted it.

    >> 2. it is simply not possible to build Debian packages while
    >> adhering to this artificial restriction.

    Marcus> I would not bind this to the use of prefix=.  I always
    Marcus> found the use of a different prefix= lacking.  I think
    Marcus> DESTDIR was meant to be the proper variable to mangle, but
    Marcus> I could be wrong.  I have certainly seen a lot of software
    Marcus> break with setting either prefix or DESTDIR to something
    Marcus> unexpected.

I was remember people told me this on the libtool mailing list too,
but then somebody spoke up and said that both were the same, IIRC.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>