Re: serious libtool 1.4 breakage?

On Sun, May 27, 2001 at 10:29:34AM +1000, Brian May wrote:
> make install prefix=`pwd`/debian/tmp/usr

It might be worth to play with DESTDIR than with prefix, at least if
automake is used.

The install prefix mangling is a bit incoherent across applications.

> However, when I posted a message to the libtool mailing list (see the
> above bug report), I only received one reply, and that was: "[...]
> when relinking is necessary, you must not use a different prefix to
> install than the one used to build."

I think it is reasonable to ask back what solution they provide for the case
where you want to temporarily install into a different place for packaging
etc.

> 2. it is simply not possible to build Debian packages while adhering
> to this artificial restriction.

I would not bind this to the use of prefix=.  I always found the use of a
different prefix= lacking.  I think DESTDIR was meant to be the proper
variable to mangle, but I could be wrong.  I have certainly seen a lot of
software break with setting either prefix or DESTDIR to something
unexpected.

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de