Re: Work-needing packages report for May 25, 2001

Adrian Bunk <bunk@fs.tum.de> wrote:

> According to the Popularity Contest [1] it has some (even though not many)
> users (but not every user is a developer who can adopt the package).

Anyone can join Debian.

> No! Why should we remove packages only because noone is adopting them?

To encourage interested parties to adopt and maintain them, of course.

I agree with Marcelo (?) that Debian should have no orphaned packages. A
package without a reponsible party maintaining it is a liability, not a
benefit.

> This doesn't mean that this package has no users. I adopted many packages
> to avoid that they get removed (and I sent RFAs immediately after adopting
> them) and I got mails of several users that were happy that a package they
> are using wasn't removed (and many of these packages already have new
> maintainers).

If they have new maintainers, then there is no need for you to have adopted
them in the first place.
--
Sam Couter          |   Internet Engineer   |   http://www.topic.com.au/
sam@topic.com.au    |   tSA Consulting      |