Re: Autoconf 2.50

On Thu, 24 May 2001, Junichi Uekawa wrote:

> It seems like many packages break with autoconf-2.50,
>
> Out of all my packages which use autoconf,
>  ecasound = ok
>  beast = NO
> only 1 passed autoconf-2.50 unmodified.

I tried to rebuild beast and it failed with:

./ltconfig: .: /dev/null: not a regular file
ltconfig: you must specify a host type if you use `--no-verify'
Try `ltconfig --help' for more information.
configure: error: libtool configure failed
make: *** [configure-stamp] Error 1

This is clearly NOT the fault of autoconf but a libtool breakage. Updating
libtool before building the package using:

  libtoolize --force
  aclocal
  automake
  autoconf

solves the problem and the package builds fine then.

> I would suggest reverting "autoconf" to be the compatibility
> version, and applications which work with autoconf-2.50
> can build-depend upon it, after being verified as such.

Please look at the error message before you blame autoconf-2.50 that has
at least in the case of beast no problems.

> regards,
> 	junichi

cu
Adrian