Re: Latin (Re: ITP: mosix -- Cluster computing enhancements for the Linux kernel.)

Junichi Uekawa <dancer@netfort.gr.jp> writes:

> tb@becket.net (Thomas Bushnell, BSG) immo vere scripsit (?!)
>
> Hello Thomas,
>

> > > Based on my latin (lack of) skills, I'd guess "so truthfully spoke",
> > > or something like that.
> >
> > Sure, that's my guess too.  But that's not what "cum veritate
> > scripsit" means; I was trying to be nice. :)
>
> Bah, well, due to my latin stills and the absence thereof,
> This was the best guess I could come up with (or was it me).
>
> Should I adhere to your advise ?

Oh, "immo vere" is wrong too; I must have been on some weird drugs.

"Immo vero" is what I meant; that would by my suggestion.  It means
that you really affirm that they wrote whatever.  ("So-and-so really
wrote".)

If you want to assert that what they wrote is true, I would say
"So-and-so veritatem scripsit" or "So-and-so veritate scripsit".
("So-and-so wrote the truth", or "So-and-so wrote truly".)

Thomas