Re: Woody upgrading problems, LILO and debconf

On Tue, May 22, 2001 at 12:58:06AM -0600, John Galt wrote:
> On 21 May 2001, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
>
> >John Galt <galt@inconnu.isu.edu> writes:
> >
> >> Is it?  Was George Orwell normal in that case?  Mark Twain?  William
> >> Shakespeare?  Richard Saunders? In fact, if you look through history,
> >> there are many reasons behind pseudonymity, because there are many uses of
> >> pseudonymity.  I just use a pseudonym that's almost immediately
> >> recognizable as a pseudonym.
> >
> >Twain didn't hide his identity.  Shakespeare is not a pseudonym.  I
> >don't know who Saunders is.  Any other examples?
>
> Saunders is the Richard in _Poor Richard's Almanack_, Known by others as
> Benjamin Franklin.  Shakespeare has been alleged to be a pseudonym of
> Bacon: see http://www.theatlantic.com/unbound/flashbks/shakes/shakint.htm
> You want other examples, even though you haven't done much with the ones I
> gave?  How about David French?  Don A Stuart?  Anson MacDonald?  Robert
> Jordan?  VC Andrews? Joey Ramone (I think this one was a legal name
> change...)?

I think we can disqualify anyone in showbiz, because they had a pretty
simple reason - glamour. Anything more interesting is far better. Also in
writing, I don't know what their reasons were, but it may have been the
above, or a legitimate fear of persecution by groups they criticised.

We're not going to lynch you. Lose all respect for the person who is really
"John Galt", sure, but still ...

> >> Why are you so damned concerned who I am?  What the hell business is it of
> >> yours anyway?  Are you some kind or narc or something?  Do you often
> >> pester people for their "true identities"?  Do you carry an analytic lab
> >> around to test the DNA of people you meet?
> >
> >I thought you didn't care what I thought.
>
> I don't: what I DO care about is that you're trying to press me for
> information which is not yours to have.  You know, some places, people
> wouldn't ask what you were doing, they'd just string you up.

One can only be suspicious when you refuse to reveal your reasons. I
honestly have no idea why you wouldn't reveal your name in Debian. Even
Daniel Stone is my real name. I've done a lot of stuff I'm ashamed of now
(flaming, "fuckwit", etc, etc, ad nauseum), but I still don't hide behind a
different name. Shit happens, you move on.

Daniel Stone		<daniel@kabuki.openfridge.net> <daniel@kabuki.sfarc.net>