Re: gpm, USB mouse, Linux 2.4.4

from the secret journal of Brian May (bam@debian.org):
> Hello,
>
> Ever since booting 2.4.4 (this could be a coincidence), my mouse is no

Have you tried booting an older kernel?

> longer working with gpm (it works fine for X; although gpm doesn't
> work even with X not running). I have tried restarting gpm, but it
> doesn't help (the pointer never appears). Any ideas why? My gpm.conf
> has:

Most people run gpm in repeater mode, and point X to /dev/gpmdata. IIRC, gpm
and X packages do this by default.

> #  /etc/gpm.conf - configuration file for gpm(1)

That's pretty useless if you don't tell us anything about your hardware. On
one system, I have a usb microsoft wheelmouse, and this config works pretty
well:

/etc/gpm.conf:
device=/dev/input/mice
repeat_type=ms3
type=ps2

/etc/X11/XF86Config-4:
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/gpmdata"
        Option          "Protocol"              "IntelliMouse"
        Option          "SendCoreEvents"        "true"
        Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
EndSection

Jacob Kuntz
http://underworld.net/~jake

"So the webcam was offline last night. Because someone broke in and stole
it. It was this guy:" --jwz