Re: epsilon away from a release

On Sun, May 20, 2001 at 03:27:13PM -0400, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> "Steve M. Robbins" <steven.robbins@videotron.ca> writes:
>
> > There are "release candidate" tarballs for both autoconf and automake,
> > and I'm about to make a debian package of them for my own purposes.
> >
> > I don't believe that these new versions should be uploaded to
> > "unstable", but it would be useful to have .debs widely available for
> > other developers to check that their package will still build.  I
> > wonder if someone is already making available .debs of these alpha
> > versions.  If nobody is already doing this or planning to do this, I
> > will do so.
> >
> > Comments?
>
> There's a package of a CVS snapshot from March in
> project/experimental.  You might want to base your alpha version
> on this.  Other than that, I'm waiting for an official, final
> release in order to make an upload to unstable.  Last I heard,
> the autoconf maintainers didn't want alpha releases widely
> distributed, so I've restricted alphas to project/experimental
> and made them only upon request.

It is true that they shouldn't be widely released.  I would not
advocate uploading snapshots to unstable.

However, there is at least some intersection between debian-devel
and readers of the autoconf & automake lists where the release
candidates are announced.  I don't see why such a candidate shouldn't
be packaged on an experimental basis for others to have a poke at.
Probably we should run this idea by the auto-* developers first.

The point is moot for autoconf, however, as 2.50 was just announced!!

-S

--
by Rocket to the Moon,
by Airplane to the Rocket,