Re: Woody upgrading problems, LILO and debconf

On Sun, 20 May 2001, Russell Coker wrote:

>> >Yesterday I uploaded a version of LILO with the debconf code removed.  I
>> > had
>>
>> Ahhh: the debconf code.  WHAT IN HELL'S NAME WERE YOU DOING RUNNING
>> DEBCONF ON A BINARY NOT IN YOUR PACKAGE?!  Install-mbr, from a decision
>
>Why didn't you report this as a bug when the code was in the package?

Because my draft of the bug was unprintable, so I deleted it.  I'll make
an exception next time, just for you.  In fact, I'm kind of guessing that
you've been getting a lot of bugs deleted before they're sent because of
the fact the only proper way to express the bug is profanity.

>Or is it just more fun to flame me after I've resolved it?

Now that you mention it...it IS kind of cathartic flaming you after the
fact, but catharsis is not much good at undoing damage, just in making you
feel better about things after the fact.

>> >includes bugs in the upstream source (the patches in question have been
>> >accepted by the upstream maintainer).  I have announced my intention to
>> > fix all bugs reported against LILO before woody is frozen, and I believe
>> > that I am on track to achieve this.  Am I really doing such a bad job?
>>
>> You intend to patch all bugs in a package just before all bugs MUST be
>> patched... what, do you want a cookie?
>
>No.  Only all serious bugs must be fixed.  When woody is released there will
>still be a huge number of unfixed bugs.  Fixing all bugs in the distribution
>is simply impossible, all programmers know this.
>
>I believe that I can fix all bugs in the parts that I am responsible for.
>
>> >PPS  Shaleh, please note that when I publically flame people I CC them a
>> > copy of the message as a courtesy to give them the best opportunity to
>> > respond.  I expect to receive the same courtesy.
>>
>> Funny, I CC them so as to ensure that they got the message, not because of
>> any altruism...
>
>That's because you are a pure asshole.  99.9% of the people on the list are
>nothing like you.

Flattery will get you nowhere :)

--
There is an old saying that if a million monkeys typed on a million
keyboards for a million years, eventually all the works of Shakespeare