Re: Woody upgrading problems, LILO and debconf

On Sunday 20 May 2001 00:25, John Galt wrote:
> >> [1] LILO issues with debconf
> >>
> >> It was a bit disconcerting to go through the LILO debconf screens, first
> >> being asked if you wish to modify lilo.conf, then when the answer is no
> >
> >On Wednesday 16 May 2001 22:50, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
> >> There is growing consensus that the lilo maintainer is trying to get
> >> everyone to use grub due to frequent lilo screwups.  The configuration
> >> unfriendliness is only a part of the saga.
> >
> >Yesterday I uploaded a version of LILO with the debconf code removed.  I
> > had
>
> Ahhh: the debconf code.  WHAT IN HELL'S NAME WERE YOU DOING RUNNING
> DEBCONF ON A BINARY NOT IN YOUR PACKAGE?!  Install-mbr, from a decision

Why didn't you report this as a bug when the code was in the package?

Or is it just more fun to flame me after I've resolved it?

> >includes bugs in the upstream source (the patches in question have been
> >accepted by the upstream maintainer).  I have announced my intention to
> > fix all bugs reported against LILO before woody is frozen, and I believe
> > that I am on track to achieve this.  Am I really doing such a bad job?
>
> You intend to patch all bugs in a package just before all bugs MUST be
> patched... what, do you want a cookie?

No.  Only all serious bugs must be fixed.  When woody is released there will
still be a huge number of unfixed bugs.  Fixing all bugs in the distribution
is simply impossible, all programmers know this.

I believe that I can fix all bugs in the parts that I am responsible for.

> >PPS  Shaleh, please note that when I publically flame people I CC them a
> > copy of the message as a courtesy to give them the best opportunity to
> > respond.  I expect to receive the same courtesy.
>
> Funny, I CC them so as to ensure that they got the message, not because of
> any altruism...

That's because you are a pure asshole.  99.9% of the people on the list are
nothing like you.