Re: /etc getting big

On Wed, May 16, 2001 at 02:25:54PM -0700, Adam McKenna wrote:
> On Wed, May 16, 2001 at 11:14:20PM +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> > Depends if you use tail packing or not.
> I'm not sure I want to ask what this is :)
The last bytes of a file that do not fill a complete block (4096 bytes
normally, but please correct me someone if I am wrong) are called its tail.

If you mount a reiserfs filesystem with the notails option (disabled by
default) each tail is given a complete block, wasting some space on the
disk.

If you use tail packing, several tails are packed into the same block.

Nils

--
                                     ______
                                    (Muuuhh)