Re: woody release task needs help: package priorities

On 01-05-12 Bastian Blank wrote:
> On Sat, May 12, 2001 at 03:46:13AM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> >   exim          we should move to postfix, IMHO
>
> <g>
> exim: Installed-Size: 1072
> postfix: Installed-Size: 3223

Hm, better compare the Size-Output from apt-cache show _package_. Since
you talk only about disk-space, we maybe should switch back to smail
because:

Package: smail
Size: 506536

Package: exim
Size: 746472

Package: postfix
Size: 1510828

> >   dpkg-ftp      obsolete
> >   rcs           few use it
>
> replace it with cvs

Hm, haven't you just be arguing about the Installed-Size of exim vs.
postfix to show that exim should be preferred? If yes, then you should
argue now also for rcs, because of this:

Package: rcs
Size: 298102

Package: cvs
Size: 937000

Or why do you argue about the disk-space that the mta uses, when you now
ignore this aspect and instead prefer switching to a software that is
about 3 times bigger?

> >   vacation      why standard?
> >   fingerd       not very secure for baseline
> >   ftpd          not very secure for baseline
> >   lpr           not very secure for baseline, poss use lprng?
>
> why a print daemon? most user doesn't need such service
> if it is necesary, why not use cups as standard?

Hm, is cups now configurable without using any web-access? I haven't
heared anything that you can configure cups with an editor, which is a
advantage of lpr and lprng.

> >   nfs-kernel-server  why standard in god's name?
> >   rblcheck      why standard?
>
> exim use this? i don't know

No, but I think dnsutils depended once on it and dnsutils is standard.

Christian
--
           Debian Developer (http://www.debian.org)