Re: woody release task needs help: package priorities

> [1  <text/plain; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>]
> On Sat, May 12, 2001 at 03:46:13AM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
>> ae            not used as basic editor anymore, everyone seems to hate it

> what do you think to include as basic editor? vim? and elvis-tiny for
> boot-floopies?

I am just experiencing zile and I find it quite good. And, btw, it is
meant primarily for boot floppies.
Another argument is that zile is "kind of" a stripped-down version of
Emacs, and Emacs is the standard editor for the GNU system, which I am
sure most of the people on this list are using.

> why a print daemon? most user doesn't need such service
> if it is necesary, why not use cups as standard?

LPRng is far more secure and robust than anything else. LPR is an
insecure pseudo-standard, while LPRng is more configurable, better
designed, more RFC-compliant. CUPS is nice too, but does lack a lot of
"drivers" in its free version, is buggy and a lot of security problems
are found too often.

> ipchains,ipmasqadm            woody includes kernel-source 2.4.x, so it
>                               is obselete if using such kernel

Nope. Ipchains are still emulated. And people migrating from 2.2 will
likely appreciate having it at hand.

Wolfgang