Re: [FLAME WARNING] Linux Standards Base and Debian

On Wed, May 09, 2001 at 05:47:00PM -0500, Sam TH wrote:
> On Wed, May 09, 2001 at 02:14:20PM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
> > this choice of using the rpm binary format should be reconsidered
> > IMNSHO.  i don't really care whether you use the debian ar+tar+gzip,
> > or just plain .tar.gz, just use something i can extract *anywhere*
> > with the most basic and standard tools, without having to go and
> > compile rpm or some rpm archive extracter.
> >

> RPM is just a cpio archive.  Or at least that was my impression.  So
> GNU cpio should work just fine.

people love to say that, but it simply isn't true.  i have never been
able to use cpio to extract an rpm except by putting the rpm through
rpm2cpio first.  ar tar and gzip are extractable EVERYWHERE, even
non-GNU systems.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/