Re: how can Euro symbol be displayed under X [4.0.3]?

On Wed, May 09, 2001 at 02:08:54PM -0500, David Starner wrote:

> And? Due to the limitations of your technology, you're misdisplaying
> the character in the iso8859-15 rxvt.

no, it was user-error. since i don't see the content-type header, i did
not think to change it to the -15 revision that it should have been.

i was able to work-around the problem with a different terminal with a
different font.

> That doesn't make it right;

perhaps not. but this is not the fault of my technology, it is the fault
of my own ignorance as to the importance of the propler content-type
header, and lack of UTF-8 usage at all.

however, i know how to work around those issues :)

> in
> particular, any decent mailer will display it as currency characater,
> and display an iso8859-15-tagged text with the same byte stream with
> a Euro, and be able to handle a UTF-8 email with both of them.

as you pointed out, my mailer is a decent one. however, the environment
that the mailer was running in did not allow mutt to do all the magic
that it should have.

the main trust of my point is:

with the right font, -*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-15, and the right
keystrokes, compose+o+x, you can get the proper euro symbol.

-john