Re: ITP: tdb (Trivial DataBase)

** On May 08, Wichert Akkerman scribbled:
> Previously Marek Habersack wrote:
> > I plan to write an extension to Pike that uses tdb - it should be used as a
> > shared library in that case. The upstream sources generate a well working
> > .so, so I thought it might be nice to have it in Debian. Also, there might
> > be some code in Caudium that will also use tdb. I'm sure more people would
> > use it as well.
>
> My point is that that's not how tdb is meant to be used: instead of
> a shared library the idea is to directly copy the tdb source in your
> program. That's why tridge and rusty worked very hard to keep it
> under 1000 lines (it's actually slightly larger now unfortunately).
Put that way it makes perfect sense. But why use libtool then? It might seem that
they are planning/thinking of making it a bit larger project. Would it be
feasible if only a tdb-dev package existed with an .a archive and a set of
manpages/includes - at least it would be integrated with debian that way? If anybody
would like to use tdb it would be a snap to install the package and simply
include libtdb.a in their project. I mean, it would give a feeling of
completeness as far as Debian is concerned - no need to download anything
and install from tarballs, just get the deb.

marek

--
Visit: http://caudium.net - the Caudium WebServer

/* A completely unrelated fortune */
 When man calls an animal "vicious", he usually means that it will attempt
 to defend itself when he tries to kill it.