Re: (OT) Storage (8*IDE HDs) any experiences? - diodes

On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 04:49:27PM -0700, Alvin Oga wrote:
> the diodes need to be power diodes... vs signal diodes
>
> given you cannot tie the power supplies at two diff voltages together...
> you have to isolate it somehow... ( the power diode method )

I'm a bit hazy on how this actually works, but I would guess that
each supply's output goes through a diode (forward biased) and
the lower potential sides of the diodes would be connected.
Thus not much current flows back the other way.

> but more importantly, its primary purpose is to allow for the
> two power supply at different voltages ( +5.25v  and +4.75v ) to be tied
> together
>
> at these extremes... the diodes wont help....and the dioes will simply
> burn up due to the current it has to pass to get to that "voltage"
> one side being a diode drop ( 0.7v ) across itself..
> 	- a power mosfet is better suited ...

You will need some large diodes and you may well need cooling
ie heatsinks.

Hamish