Re: upgrading only urgency=high packages

On Tue, May 01, 2001 at 02:12:24PM -0400, Dan Christensen wrote:

> Is there a way to upgrade all currently installed packages which have
> had an urgency=high version uploaded to the archive since I last
> upgraded?  (And any necessary dependencies, of course.)  I'm thinking
> of this for the unstable distribution.  The idea is to frequently do
> such upgrades to get any security fixes, and less frequently do an
> entire dist-upgrade.
>
> (I know about testing, but for the machine in question I like to
> stay current with unstable most of the time.)
>
> I'm guessing that the information about the urgency fields might not
> be available except in the changelog, so it might be necessary to
> download the package and have a script look through the changelog.
>
> Could apt-listchanges be hacked to do this?  Or could apt's new
> pinning mechanism help?
>
> Is urgency information stored anywhere besides the changelog?
> How do the testing scripts do this?

I had an idea (and a working script) to extract changelogs from source packages
and insert them into a SQL database.  My original intention was to allow
apt-listchanges to display changelogs for packages before downloading them, but
such a database would also allow for queries like this.  It would also allow
the CGI changelog viewer to work again.

If the daily lintian runs start up again, this script could easily be run when
a source package is unpacked, to keep the database up-to-date as new packages
come into the archive.

--
 - mdz