Re: (OT) Storage (8*IDE HDs) any experiences?

On Fri, Apr 27, 2001 at 12:05:11PM -0500, Dimitri Maziuk wrote:
> I imagine the dangerous part would be when you turn the thing on
> and it tries to spin up all those disks. You could put them to sleep
> shortly after bootup and get the load down, but if PS doesn't blow on
> startup it probably won't blow under normal load either.

The IBM SCSI disk I have here has a jumper to delay spin up depending on
SCSI ID so that an array of those would spin up sequentially if they all
had those jumper set (and different IDs, which they need anyway).  Maybe
there are IDE drives built with RAIDs in mind offering some similar
option?

--
 Andreas E. Bombe <andreas.bombe@munich.netsurf.de>    DSA key 0x04880A44
http://home.pages.de/~andreas.bombe/    http://linux1394.sourceforge.net/