Solution found, was Re: New X problems...

Well, since I usually want to know what's happening (as well as having a
functioning system) I did some investigating last night, and found that,
after 'make mrproper', menuconfig shows that the NFS file system is
enabled by default. With this option enabled, the errors occur in X.
Without this option X works fine.

I have no use for NFS, so it isn't a problem, but this could really suck
on system that want to use NFS.

I haven't tried making NFS as a module, but I suspect the bug is still
there, whatever it is.

Thanks for all the help,

On Sat, 28 Apr 2001, Josip Rodin wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 27, 2001 at 12:19:03AM -0400, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> > David, from your comments below, you seem to be using kpkg, while I use
> > make. I got my 2.2.19 source from ftp.kernel.org, and, after a bit of
> > unusual bother untarring it, did 'make mrproper ; make menuconfig'. At
> > this point I had to go get ncurses4-dev ... somehow it failed to upgrade
> > last time...
> >
> > Anyway, I usually work through every option in the config menu. I like the
> > menuconfig option because it is easy to go back and forth between various
> > areas of configuration.
>
> You should probably try copying the .config file that you used with 2.2.17
> into the directory where you unpacked 2.2.19, and then run make oldconfig.
> It looks like make config, but it'll skip over already answered questions
> and ask you any new ones. After that is done, you can still run make
> menuconfig and prune whatever you think may be bloat.
>
> However, if you unpacked the new kernel in the same directory and already
> did make mrproper, it probably removed the .config file...
>
> --
> Digital Electronic Being Intended for Assassination and Nullification

Dwarf
--
_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "Dwarf's Guide to Debian GNU/Linux"  _-_-_-_-_-_-