Re: Boost and Loki

On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 03:37:20PM -0500, David A. Greene wrote:
> Since we're on the topic of C++ libraries, has anyone looked
> at Loki from Andrei Alexandrescu?  It is described in
> "Modern C++ Design" from AW, but the website
> (www.moderncppdesign.com)is currently down.  I'm not sure of
> the license.  Loki is a library of (among other things)

See http://cseng.aw.com/book/0,3828,0201704315,00.html and the "Source
Code" link on that page.

To me it looks like the official site(s) are misconfigured. They
redirect to a missing page.

The source files contain the following notice:

// The Loki Library
// Copyright (c) 2001 by Andrei Alexandrescu
// This code accompanies the book:
// Alexandrescu, Andrei. "Modern C++ Design: Generic Programming and Design
//     Patterns Applied". Copyright (c) 2001. Addison-Wesley.
// Permission to use, copy, modify, distribute and sell this software for any
//     purpose is hereby granted without fee, provided that the above copyright //     notice appear in all copies and that both that copyright notice and this //     permission notice appear in supporting documentation.
// The author or Addison-Welsey Longman make no representations about the
//     suitability of this software for any purpose. It is provided "as is"
//     without express or implied warranty.

Which looks perfectly DFSG compliant to me.

I haven't really tried using them yet, but I already noticed that the
Thread support has only been done for win32, so someone will have to
write some additional (probably simple, if you know about pthreads)

The idea is that the first face shown to people is one they can readily
accept - a more traditional logo. The lunacy element is only revealed
subsequently, via the LunaDude. [excerpted from the Lunatech Identity Manual]