porting questions

This is a re-post of questions I posted to debian-mentors several days
ago. I received no replies, but in a private e-mail another developer
said that he'd asked the same questions before and never received a
definitive answer.

Trying to play the part of the conscientious maintainer, I wanted to make
sure my package would build on all platforms, and correct any errors
that might prevent it from building correctly. Since I don't have access
to architectures other than i386, I went to the list of Debian machines
to see if any would be suitable.

Problem #1: vore seems to be the only machine with a sid chroot
available. Since my package Build-depends on packages that are only in
sid, it's not possible to test the build against potato or woody.

Problem #2: even on vore in the sid chroot, my package Build-depends on
many packages that are not installed, and I of course can't install them
as a normal user.

Is there any way for non-porters to port their own packages using
Debian's machines? How should a person overcome the above obstacles?

Joshua

--
Joshua Haberman                                  <joshua@haberman.com>
University of Puget Sound                          <joshua@debian.org>