Re: fortunes-atheist copyright again (would be FW: Re: copyright)

On Fri, Apr 27, 2001 at 07:37:10PM -0300, Carlos Laviola wrote:
> I currently, and intentionally, have no copyright over the fortunes
> collection.  I encourage everyone to copy it and use it freely, and as
> far as your system goes, you're most certainly welcome to it.

That's all we need. A full disclaimer of copyright is plenty.

> As for the constituent quotes, my understanding is that they are either
> so old that they are public domain, or else the relatively brief quoting
> falls under the "fair use" doctrine.

Yes. I believe our current fortune cookies are much likely to be
objected to than this collection; we have whole poems in there.

> I'm not sure if this would impact the way that you would package it in
> your system- thanks for the URL on the GNU license, and I'll take a look
> at it and see how it can be applied.  If it needs a specific copyright
> statement to be included, I probably will adopt something like that,
> and I'll let you know as soon as I've officially applied whatever it needs
> to the file.

I wouldn't worry about, and especially not something like the GNU license.
If you feel you need a CYA license, use the BSD one; the GNU one makes a
lot of distinctions that are absurd in these conditions.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
"I don't care if Bill personally has my name and reads my email and