Re: Lightweight Web browsers

On Fri, Apr 27, 2001 at 10:25:46AM +0200, J?r?me Marant wrote:
>   I mainly focused on low memory consumption, and Encompass meet this
>   requirement.

Yes, but only when you ignore the bloat from the horrible Gnome
libraries that entangle it. "Encompas doesn't take much ram, the ram
is all taken up by libgnome, libgnomeui, libbonobo, libgnomevfs,
libesd, libaudiofile, libgal, libgnomewebbrowser, etc..."

>   Then, mentioning Gnome usually make people think that the Gnome
>   Desktop Environment is required to run the browser which is not the
>   case.

Not when "people" are clued. Installing gnome libraries is bad enough.

>   And unless you have disk space restrictions, I don't see the problem
>   with installing gnome libs since these are shared between a growing
>   number of applications.

Maybe because they're bloated, take huge gobs of memory, and are
designed only to emulate the mistakes and misdesign of a certain OS
from Redmond?

Applications should be writen to be small and efficient. Gnome
applications force you to install and put up with dozens of libraries
that don't actually do anything useful (ex. Glib!!).

>   (Political reasons for not installing Gnome are not good reasons)

Umm, why the hell not?