Re: Storage (8*IDE HDs) any experiences?

On Friday 27 April 2001 06:33, Brandon High wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 26, 2001 at 09:42:16PM -0400, mdanish@andrew.cmu.edu wrote:
> > IDE causes a bit of a performance hit, I don't think we're talking high
> > speed file access here though... cheap is the objective.
>
> You'd be suprised at the performance hit. I had 2 drives/channel and
> suffered from really bad performance with the on-board Ultra66 controller.
> I installed a PCI controller (Promise Ultra 66) and put every drive on its
> own channel. Things are much happier now and about 3x faster. The best part
> is that the card only costs about $25.
>
> You might be better off getting a more reliable motherboard, such as an
> ASUS CUSL2 (for Intel) or ASUS A7V133 (For AMD) and putting PCI controllers
> in.

See http://www.coker.com.au/~russell/hardware/46g.png for some quick
benchmark results showing the differences between a single IDE drive, two
drives on separate channels, and two drives on the same channel.

Apart from one drive being exceedingly slow at the start (for reasons I have
not yet determined) it seems that two drives on the same channel isn't much
slower than two drives on separate channels.

Having two drives on separate channels is slower than a single drive can run
on it's own, I think that this is a limitation of CPU and bus performance
(which will be the main factor when you have 8 drives in an array).