Re: 2.4.x Kernel, ECN And Problem Websites

On Thu, Apr 26, 2001 at 05:52:10AM +1000, Daniel Stone wrote:
> Yes, I know this. The bits are officially "reserved" in the RFC. Some people
> took this to mean, "must be zero".

This reminds me of my favourite quote from RFC2795:

   The Version, Sequence Number, Protocol Number, and Reserved fields
   are 32 bit unsigned integers.  For IMPS version 1.0, the Version must
   be 1.  Reserved must be 0 and will always be 0 in future uses.  It is
   included because every other protocol specification includes a
   "future use" reserved field which never, ever changes and is
   therefore a waste of bandwidth and memory. [6] [7] [8].

(Reference 7 is in fact to the TCP standard :)

Richard Braakman