Re: 2.4.x Kernel, ECN And Problem Websites

On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 09:28:22PM +1000, Herbert Xu wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 09:21:36PM +1000, Mark Purcell wrote:
> >
> > One of the comments on /. also states;
> >
> > " If you find ECN enabled in your distributor's 2.4.x kernel
> > package by default, please consider this a severe mistake on
> > your distributor's part."
>
> That's the wrong solution.  It prevents people who want to use ECN from
> using it.  The correct solution is to disable it in /etc/sysctl.conf.
> However, I just had a look, and sysctl.conf is in procps which isn't
> essential.  So we may need to move this functionality to an essential
> package, perhaps sysvinit.

Why enable ECN at all, if all it effectively does is break stuff? AFAIK,
there's no systems out "in the wild" that actually use ECN to make a
difference. All that's happening is that peoples' systems are being broken.
Which is sub-optimal.

If the users are smart enough to determine that they *need* ECN, they're
smart enough to compile their own kernel.

--
Daniel Stone
daniel@kabuki.openfridge.net