Re: kernel-{image,headers} package bloat

On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 01:16:51AM -0500, Adam Heath wrote:
> A kernel-module must be built with the EXACT SAME environment as the kernel
> being run.  This means they need an EXACT match of headers.  The ones that are
> included with glibc are generic, and will NEVER match the running kernel(even
> across kernel versions, let alone flavors).
Ok, we established that the flavored kernel-headers packages are to build
modules for the debian-provided kernels by yourself.

This is legitimate imho, because it is *not* only for people who may want
to distribute binary modules but may come handy if I had a network card
supported only by a newer version of the driver: Get the new version,
compile it as a module, hardware runs.

*BUT* as someone else mentioned, the cases where you get away with a full
kernel source and only need what kernel-headers provide are so few, that it
isn't really worth supporting them. People who need to build modules for the
debian supplied kernel that are not already there should use the full kernel
source and use the .config of their kernel-image to create modules with
symbols matching their running kernel.

Nils

--
*New* *New* *New*    - on shellac records
   Windows HE        - see top 10 reasons to downgrade on