Re: ITP: ttf-japanese-kandata

Hi!

At Sat, 21 Apr 2001 23:07:42 +0000,
Takashi Okamoto wrote:
> Sure, but in the fact I judged by document in kandata distribution.
> It says:
> (kandata font is included various fonts)
> ------
> [Watanabe mincho]
>       > --- Watanabe font Copyright notice
>       > Undocumented.
>       > But freely to distribute,  convert,  modified and so
>       > on.
>       (debian/copyright in xtt-fonts_0.19990222-3.tar.gz )
>

> [lt1-r-omega-serif.ttf]
>       Copyright: The    Omega    Project  ,    1999  ,
>                  http://www.ens.fr/omega. This font  can  be
>                  freely used and distributed.
>
>       (intlfonts-1.2/Readme)
>       ### International Fonts Ver.1.2 ###
>       [...]
>       2.1.3  Vector fonts  (TrueType and Type1)
>
>       We  greatly  appreciate  the  contribution  of  Yannis
>       Haralambous         and         Tereza         Tranaka
>       <yannis@fluxus-virus.com>.   They  made free  TrueType
>       and  Type1  fonts   for  Latin-X  series,  Thai,   and
>       Vietnamese.  They will eventually   make   fonts   for
>       more character sets.
>
>       * Kandata 1.07 or later use intlfonts1.2 at arabia numeric and
> 	latin letters.
>
> [Othre part]
> 	Public Domain.
> ------

> Well, I'll contact kandata authors and make sure that it's free.
> I'll post conclusion here. Wait a moment, please.

I send mail to Kandata authors Mr. Wakaba and Mr. Uchida.
I confirmed above copyright is not accurate at following points:

	- Omega font haven't been used already (Mr. Uchida's said)

	- "Other part" (Kandata specific parts) are ALMOST Public
          Domain. It means Mr. wakaba took other works while early
          developement kandata. And he tried to confirm their license
          some times in the past but he couldn't because their
          document were not remained yet. Mr. wakaba said "I think
	  there is no problem because I(wakaba) and Mr.UCHIDA remake a
          lot of glyphs and nobody point out the problem up to
          now. But I can't guarantee it."

Kandata is almost free. But unfortunately, there is a little unclear
point. Although it may be very little, we can't negate it. Kandata
should be gone to non-free, because we must guarantee complete free
for main package by DSC.

Does anybody have other opinion?

Regards.
Takashi Okamoto