Re: kernel-{image,headers} package bloat

On Tue, Apr 24, 2001 at 07:50:34PM +1000, Herbert Xu wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 24, 2001 at 07:49:45PM +1000, Daniel Stone wrote:
> >
> > If you're including the entire headers in every package, this is an awful
> > fallacy. Why not just do something like this:
> > kernel-headers-2.4.3-common: all the 2.4.3 headers
> > kernel-headers-2.4.3-piii: autoconf.h and modules/ for p3
> > kernel-headers-2.4.3-k7: autoconf.h and modules/ for athlon
> > etc, etc.
> > and then, have kernel-headers-2.4.3-piii depend on
> > kernel-headers-2.4.3-common?
>
> How about providing a patch? You claim to be a Kernel Developer, so you
> should know the rules.

I am a kernel developer, in my spare time, which is very scarce these days.
Obviously, hacking on Netfilter, is different from hacking on kernel
packages. I'll have a crack at it tonight, if you're happy. But remember:
* I'm still learning my way around Debian packaging,
* My machine is slow as all hell (the good old p100 with 48meg of ram
absolutely *slogs* through any kernel build, let alone SEVERAL),
* I don't have a lot of time, and I have homework to do.

--
Daniel Stone
Linux Kernel Developer, in his spare time