Re: switching to libxml2

Federico Di Gregorio <fog@mixadlive.com> said:
> but the only problematic gnome library, afaik, is libglade and i just
> recompiled it against libxml2 without changes. the fact that gnome 1.x

The fact that you can rebuild packages against libxml2 with no
or only trivial changes (e.g. replace "doc->root" with "doc->rootNode")
does NOT mean that they are going to WORK. Some do some of the time,
several don't work at all (can't read their config files anymore etc).
There are semantic differences between libxml1 and libxml2.
Been there, done that (at one point had all my Gnome stuff patched
to build against libxml2, but then several apps simply failed to work).
Leave porting to libxml2 to the Gnome people (or lend them a hand),
but keep that out of Debian.

Chhers, Roderich
--
    Scully: Have you ever had any dealings with a cow?
    Mulder: Agent Scully, WHAT are you implying?

Roderich Schupp 		mailto:rsch@ExperTeam.de
ExperTeam GmbH			http://www.experteam.de/
Munich, Germany