Keymaps?

Hi Folks,

What is the one, true, official way to set a keyboard map under debian?
loadkeys, yes? How could it be possible that I select (and manually load)
the de keymaps, and don't get any umlaute, and the @ sign is on the wrong
key? Is this a bug (fileable against what, console-tools?) or am I missing
something?

Best wishes,
Nils

--
 "But since you asked: I am like a hunter of peace, one who chases the
  elusive mayfly of love. - Well, something like that." -- Trigun