Re: kernel-{image,headers} package bloat

Rahul Jain <rahul@rice.edu> wrote:

> It seems that most of the chips are the same as ppro. I think this supports my
> idea above to remove the k6, p2, and p3 optimiations. Also, I think the p3-smp

Good spotting.  In fact, there is no difference between p3 and p4 at the
moment whatsoever.  The only difference between 686 and p3 is in the f00f
workaround which gets thrown away after init.  So I'll get rid p3/p3-smp/p4.

K6 needs to stay since it passes -march=k6 to gcc.

> So, I propose the following list of kernels:
> 386, 486, 586, 586tsc, 686, k7, ppro-smp.

Yep, except with the addition of k6.

> Of course, people will need to figure out what each of these mean and which one
> is best for their CPU, at which point they could just compile a kernel for
> their exact CPU type and get the best optimizations possible.

I doubt telling someone that you can read a package description is anywhere
near as impressive as telling them that you can compile a kernel :)