Re: FYI: dh_upx compresses i386 executables

#include <hallo.h>
Wichert Akkerman wrote on Sat Apr 21, 2001 um 02:30:34PM:
> Previously Eduard Bloch wrote:
> > According to my top output, they do share memory. IMHO the applications
> > are decompressed in a temp directory and reexecuted again.
>
> Only for shared libraries they use, not the binary itself.

You are right, they don't share memory for binaries itself, so
compressed binaries need more memory pro child. This should be mentioned
in the manpage.

If there is only a prozess of this program, there is no difference.

Gr{us,eeting}s,
Eduard.
Eduard Bloch <blade@debian.org>; HP: http://eduard.bloch.com/edecosi
0xEDF008C5(GnuPG): E6EB 98E2 B885 8FF0 6C04 5C1D E106 481E EDF0 08C5
**
"AOL ist sowas wie die AOK der Internet-Provider."
        -- Peter Berlich <peter@berlich.de>