Re: configuring xf4, was Re: Can't configure 3rd button on mouse

Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:

> The error message above seems to be saying that there is no executable for
> the X command, but the link is just where it always was, and has all the
> execute permissions set, so what's the problem?
>
> dwarf:/etc/X11# ls -l X
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           20 Apr 18 12:20 X -> /usr/bin/X11/XFree86
>
> So, what's wrong with this link?

That's what I have:

  $ ls -l /etc/X11/X
  lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 Dec 26 09:35 /etc/X11/X -> /usr/bin/X11/XFree86

and have you tried

  dpkg-reconfigure xserver-common

(I ask after having looked at the Xwrapper.config manpage).

Mine says:

  allowed_users=rootonly
  nice_value=-10

Also, have you got anything strange in your .xinitrc or .xsession?  I
know it's a long shot, but it might be worth checking.