Re: configuring xf4, was Re: Can't configure 3rd button on mouse

On 18 Apr 2001, Rob Browning wrote:

> Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:
>
> > dwarf:/etc/X11# startx
> >
> > /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xserverrc: exec: X: not found
> > giving up.
> > xinit:  Connection refused (errno 111):  unable to connect to X server
> > xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.
> >
> > So, now I'm stuck without any X!
>
> Matt's probably right.  First, make sure that running the X binary
> directly, say as XFree86 (or whatever), works as root (you can get out
> via Ctrl-Alt-Backspace).  If so, then try running startx as a normal
> user, though I'm not very experienced with startx, having always used
> xdm or gdm...

Startx behaves the same either run as root or run as normal user dwarf.
Both the svga and XFree86 servers run when executed by name, but provide
no more than a grey screen and a large X mouse pointer. No actions produce
results other than mouse pointer motion.

Normally I use wdm to start X, but startx generates the error messages to
the screen instead of needing to read the log after invocation, so
debugging goes a bit faster.

The error message above seems to be saying that there is no executable for
the X command, but the link is just where it always was, and has all the
execute permissions set, so what's the problem?

dwarf:/etc/X11# ls -l X
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           20 Apr 18 12:20 X -> /usr/bin/X11/XFree86

So, what's wrong with this link?

Thanks,

Dwarf
--
_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "Dwarf's Guide to Debian GNU/Linux"  _-_-_-_-_-_-