Re: ALL: PARANOID from /etc/hosts.deny Should be Commented by default

On Fri, Apr 20, 2001 at 08:17:14AM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 08:39:01AM -0700, Adam McKenna wrote:
> > between Debian boxes and clients with incorrectly configured DNS.  You may be
> > OK with this, but to me this is a gross violation of the robustness
> > principle, and a way to cause people headache with very little gain in
> > return.

> So in summary, this is another one of Debian's famous flamewars where
> somebody argues that the defaults must change to suit their preferences,
> even though it is easy to override the defaults on a system by system
> basis.

_IF_ you are experienced enough to know what to change. ssh for
example gratiosly informs that "connection refused from ip.ad.re.ss".
How the helll should a mcse know what to change from that log entry?
supposing ofcourse that he can find the logfile in the beginning?

Someone who knows where the ALL:PARANOID setting is can surely put it
_on_ if he wants, but a newcomer _can't_ put it off before a long
struggle.

--
Riku Voipio  	       |    riku.voipio@iki.fi         |
kirkkonummentie 33     |    +358 50 3313498          --+--