Re: Followup: Syslog

On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 07:54:53PM +0200, Gerrit Pape wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 09:06:51AM -0700, John H. Robinson, IV wrote:
> >
> > a few things that are mildly annoying about multilog,
> [...]
> >   *  there is no easy way to tell multilog to keep all logs
> >
> >   *  i have not found a way to get it to automatically zip up an older
> >      logfile.
> >
> Both can be done with multilog using a 'processor', see
> http://cr.yp.to/daemontools/multilog.html .

it seems thar the processor directive `!' only operates on ``current'',
and it seems before it gets written. again, i have not toyed with it
enough to figure it out (the default action suits my needs just fine)

> >   *  you cannot tell multilog when to rotate the logs. multilog rotates
> >      per file size. so each multilog process may rotate at different times
> >
> What is bad about this?

nothing. its just mildly annoying if you want it to rotate via a cron job, so
you can zip it up. (which the process directive may or may not be able
to do. if someone knows how, i would be grateful if they could share
with the group)

-john