Re: Text tool problems with xfig resolved

On 18 Apr 2001, Rob Browning wrote:

> Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:
>
> > I'm a touch typist who doesn't like to have the mouse pointer in my
> > field of view, as it conflicts with the real cursor location.
>
> Dale, one other option you might like is "unclutter".
>
> Install that package and run it on login and then you can respect the
> "one try way" :> of focus-follows-mouse, and still not have the
> pointer distracting you when you're not using it.

You missed my point. I STRONGLY prefer focus-on-mouse-click because then
the bahavior of the cursor is not dependent upon the position of the
cursor.

Just because I also like the cursor our of my field of view, it doesn't
fix the principle problem of mouse drift to make it "go away" when I'm not
using it.

I'm keyboard-centric, I don't like the mouse, and use it as little as
required to get the job done. Once I click the focus, I want to be able to
throw the mouse against the wall and have the focus stay put.

Note: no smiley face on that last comment.

> Might make the xfig problem irrelevant too.

No it doesn't, it just makes it harder to figure out what's happening if
you can't even see where the mouse pointer is on the screen.

Do we not have any policy on such issues? Are individual programs
allowed/expected to choose their own focus rules? Why is my freedom of
choice being violated here?

Not having fun yet,

Dwarf
--
_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "Dwarf's Guide to Debian GNU/Linux"  _-_-_-_-_-_-