Re: kernel-{image,headers} package bloat

Am 17.04.01 um 21:56:47 schrieb Herbert Xu:
> 100MB is a negligible price to pay for the CPU cycles saved from people
> having to compile kernels needlessly.  And I doubt anyone can measure how
> much dpkg is slowed down by 20 extra packages.

When I compile kernels, I can do other work on my machine at the same
time. I have loads of spare CPU cycles lying around, I don't need to
save them _there_. However I tend to sit and watch dpkg while it's
installing a package I want, or I wait for dselect to come up, and I do
that often - a second saved there makes me more happy.

And I have to agree with Craig that people who can't compile their own
kernels are either not quite ready to run Linux and should stay away
with it, or just live with the performance penalty of the installation
kernel until they've learned.

Cheers,
    Mike

--