Re: Configuring sources.list during install: idea

Quoting Ilkka Tuohela <Ilkka.Tuohela@nixu.fi>:

> > > Another idea was a little bit more complicated: instead of entering
> > > the URL by yourself you could add automatic configuration as one
> > > possibility, just like wpad proxy configuration proposal. We could
> > > simply support one type of DNS record for this, nothing as fancy as
> > > WPAD which defines multiple protocols and options.
> > > So, for example in our network I could simply add a DNS record
> > > apt-source-potato 3600 IN TXT "http://potato.domain.com/sources.list";
>
> > Maybe better in a dhcp record?
>
> Yes and no.

I don't run DHCP on any of my networks ...

> it could be as well SRV (service) record or whatever you want. My
> point was

... which makes this a much better alternative...

http://RFC.net/rfc2052.html

--
 Turbo     __ _     Debian GNU     Unix _IS_ user friendly - it's just
 ^^^^^    / /(_)_ __  _   ___  __  selective about who its friends are

World Trade Center Albanian BATF cryptographic Qaddafi NORAD AK-47 spy
Peking Nazi plutonium Panama KGB bomb congress