libapache-mod-backhand: load balancing Apache.

Dear -devel,

This is primarily a request to web server junkies, (or anyone who cares)...

I have prepared a package of mod_backhand (www.backhand.org) for Apache and
am planning on organising its release into unstable this coming weekend via
my sponsor  (I have just finished NM, and don't yet have my acct). However,
before I upload I am hoping to get some more feedback and solve any problems.

Mod_backhand performs software load balancing via request proxying or client
redirection. It broad/multi-casts state information to other mod_backhand
Apache servers. Each mod_backhand enabled Apache server is configured to
choose a server from those it knows about that will be asked to service the
request. As the upstream author points out; this is not High Availability,
just load balancing.

You *can* run this on a single Apache server, but it wont be any fun because
you can probably guess that all requests will be serviced by the one machine
you have. Two or more Apache servers gets to be fun. All documentation is in
the package that you will have to read to get it working correctly
(README.Debian).

I have the .dsc and i386 .deb at:
	http://www.rcpt.to/~james/programs/debian/dists/unstable/

If anyone has a desire to play with it, I would appreciate any feedback. The
current upstream version number is 1.1.1pre4. Visit www.backhand.org for more
information.

Many thanks,

  James Bromberger

--
 James Bromberger <james_AT_rcpt.to> www.rcpt.to/~james

       * *  C u in Bordeaux - 1st Debian Conference, July 2001 * *
 Remainder moved to http://www.rcpt.to/~james/james/sig.html